Now presenting: my FAVORITE project of the year!!! Hands down! A giant string of rainbow Holiday lights in pillow form! Seriously, I could not be more excited to put these on our couch this year as we put the finishing touches on decorating our apartment for Christmas. I’m not a big traditional Holiday colors kinda gal, so I’ve always loved string lights because most of the time they’re rainbow, and they match so well with all of the other colorful aspects of our home. So why not make a giant version of them, right?! Ha, my thoughts exactly! Now I know some of you are still hesitant about sewing, so we have a super detailed how-to along with a free pattern so you can make your very own light pillows! Let’s do this thang!!!
1 yard of felt for each color of lights
1/2 yard of gray felt for the top of the light
White thread or thread to match the color of your pillows
Hand sewing needle
Polyester fiberfill, we used half a bag per pillow (here)
Paper patterns to make the pillow (print them out here)
1. On the fold of your fabric, pin down the bulb pattern piece and cut out 6 pieces total. With right sides together, sew two of the bulb pieces along one side of the felt with a 1/4″ seam.
2. Sew two more pieces of the pattern together, and connect them to the first pieces of felt you sewed together. Continue repeating these steps until you get to the last seam. Remember to leave an opening so you can turn you pillow right side out once you’re done sewing.
3. If you still have small holes in the top and bottom of your pillow, stitch them closed before moving on to the next step.
4. Turn your pillow right side out, and stuff it completely with fiberfil. Once the pillow is stuffed to your liking, hand sew the remaining open area shut.
5. To create the top of your Holiday lights, cut out a circle about 2 1/2″ in diameter and a strip of gray felt 3″ wide. Sew the strip along the edge of your circular felt piece, creating a 1/4″ seam. Turn your topper right side out and stuff it with fiberfil.
6. Hand sew the topper to the top of your Holiday light and attach a gray strip of felt to string multiple pillows together. To string them together, I created a long gray “belt” and sewed it to the back of each light topper.
Photography by Kyle Larsen
How many of you are already planning your trip to the fabric store this week so you can make these?? Sewing projects are always my favorite, and you guys seem to love them the most too! Soooo hope you like this one! 😉 And I can’t wait to see all of your versions of this online!
- 10 Comments
- December 11, 2017