Since it’s National Ice Cream Month (did you guys know that was a thing?!), I wanted to take a favorite breakfast pastry of mine and show you how to turn it into an ice cream sandwich! That’s right, we’re making a POP TART ice cream sandwich that will have you coming back for seconds. I used to eat pop tarts all of the time when I was younger, and can we just take a moment to give a shout out to the s’mores pop tart? That one was my favorite! Imagine a s’mores pop tart ice cream sandwich with chocolate ice cream. Can you say, yum?! We’re not making s’mores pop tarts today, but we are making our own classic strawberry pop tarts, and I’m letting you in on a trick for how to get just the right amount of ice cream in an ice cream sandwich without making a big mess. Let’s get baking!
1 package pie crust
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Strawberry ice cream
9″ x 9″ baking pan
1. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Melt the strawberry ice cream and pour it into the pan. Allow to freeze for several hours.
2. For the pop tarts, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Roll out your pie crust and cut out rectangles that are 4.5″ x 2.5″ in size. Place two teaspoons of jam in the middle of each piece of crust.
4. Brush milk along the edges of the crust and seal with another rectangle. Press down the outer edges with a fork.
5. Place on your baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Allow to cool completely. In the meantime, mix together your milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth.
6. Once the pop tarts are cooled, put the icing on the tops and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.
7. Take your pan of ice cream out the freezer and cut rectangles that are 4.5″ x 2.5″ out of the ice cream. Sandwich the ice cream in between two pop tarts and you have yourself a pop tart ice cream sandwich!
I’ve always been loyal to chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches, but I think these pop tart ones might be my new favorite now. And if you’ve ever wondered what happened to pop tart crunch cereal, we’ve got a recipe for that over here too!
- One Comment
- July 11, 2016