You might remember way back when when we made rainbow sprinkle marshmallows to go in the craziest cotton candy s’mores. Well, with Easter coming up next month, we wanted to show you how to put a little spin on everyone’s favorite sugary Easter treat; PEEPS! Now, I’m not the biggest fan of peeps (don’t kill me hard-core peeps fans!), but I LOVE these because they don’t have that overly sugary going-to-give-you-a-heart-attack taste. Ha! Plus, they’re rainbow and filled with sprinkles, and we all know sprinkles make everything better!
1 packet gelatin
1/3 cup cold water, plus another 1/4 cup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Brown icing for eyes and nose
Non-stick cooking spray or vegetable shortening
Peeps mold (here)
1. Grease your mold with either non-stick cooking spray or shortening. Set aside.
2. In a small pan, combine sugar and 1/3 cup water. Whisk over medium heat until all of the sugar is dissolved and the temperature gets to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In the meantime, put gelatin in a bowl with 1/4 cup water and let sit for a minute.
4. Once the sugar reaches the correct temperature pour it over the gelatin while whisking constantly.
5. Beat on high until mixture reaches soft peaks. Once soft peaks have been achieved, fold in the sprinkles.
6. Quickly spoon the mixture into your peeps mold. It starts to harden very quickly, so don’t wait! Let the mold sit for a few hours or overnight.
7. Pop the peeps out the mold and pipe on eyes and a nose with brown icing. Enjoy!
I don’t think I’ll ever eat normal peeps again! Rainbow sprinkle funfetti peeps from now on, please and thank you!
- 5 Comments
- February 29, 2016