SO, it’s National S’mores Day today and we wanted to do something a little bit crazier than your average s’more. I hope you freaked out a little once you saw this unicorn s’more (that’s what I’ve been calling it) because we put COTTON CANDY all over it!! We’ve been seeing so many fun renditions of the s’more, and we have even done our own before with donuts, so we wanted to do something super fun and try our hands at making homemade marshmallows! With rainbow sprinkles too, of course. Get ready for all of your pink food dreams to come true!
Cotton candy will melt in a few minutes on a warm s’more, so eat it quickly to retain all of that fluffy goodness!
Cotton candy (I made my own, but you can use the store bought kind)
For the marshmallows:
1 cup sugar
2 tsps light corn syrup
1 tbsp gelatine powder
1 large egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
Butter for greasing the pan
1. Put sugar, corn syrup, and 100ml of water in a small saucepan. Place on low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place another 100ml of water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatine powder over it. Set aside.
2. Increase heat on saucepan to medium/high. Boil for until sugar thermometer reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit. (Using a sugar thermometer is very important or else the marshmallows may not come out right). Remove from heat and slowly add gelatine, mixing constantly and making sure gelatin dissolves and does not form lumps.
3. Put egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to a stiff peak. Gradually add the hot sugar syrup to the egg white while mixing. Beat until mixture is stiff and white. Fold in vanilla and sprinkles.
4. Grease a 9″ x 13″ cake pan with butter. Pour mixture into the tin and use a spatula to smooth top. (Add sprinkles on top is you want more) Leave to set at room temperature at least 6 hours or overnight.
5. Use a greased knife to slice into squares. Eat them as is or melt them and add them to your s’mores!
Once you eat homemade marshmallows, you’re never going to want to eat store-bought ones again. They are so fluffy! Think of peeps and how different the consistency of those are. That’s how much MORE fluffy these are! I hope you guys have fun celebrating National S’mores Day! These holidays are the silliest, but if anything, it gives you an excuse to crank up the bonfire and toast some delicious sprinkle marshmallows!
- 3 Comments
- August 10, 2015