I’m so excited for this new series we’re going to be doing every month: MOVIE NIGHT!!! Did you guys know I’m a huge film buff? Before I decided to go into Industrial Design, I was planning on going to school for film analysis, but I ended up deciding that I just like watching movies more than anything else. Ha! So once a month we’re going to be picking a movie for everyone to watch over the weekend AND we’ll be making a DIY project based on the movie, so you can craft while you watch!
We obviously had to start out this series with the Internet’s favorite movie, Mean Girls! And we’re showing you how to make a DIY burn book VASE too! When you guys watch the movies we choose, you can tag your photos with #awwsammovienight. It will be a fun way for us all to enjoy a movie “together” even though we’re all in different parts of the world! And don’t forget to grab the popcorn and blankets!!
Plain rectangular vase (we got ours at Ikea)
White model magic (here)
Hot pink acrylic paint
Hot glue gun
Construction paper in black, white, and red
1. Roll out the white model magic with a rolling pin to 1/4″ thick. Cut the clay to the height of the vase you are using and make it long enough to wrap around the outside of the whole vase. Hot glue the model magic in place.
2. For the pages, cut a rectangle out of model magic the same size as the side of the vase and hot glue in place. Allow the model magic to dry for 48 hours.
3. Paint the “book cover” hot pink and leave the “pages” white. I did 2 coats of paint to cover the whole outside. Allow the paint to dry completely.
4. Cut the burn book letters out of black and white construction paper using an exacto knife and hot glue them to the front of the book. Cut lips out of red and hot glue to the front of the book as well.
5. With a black sharpie, draw squiggles and zig-zags on the front of the book to make it look like the smudges on the real burn book. Put flowers in the vase and go watch the movie!
Do you guys like this idea?! I’m SO excited to choose movies for this series. I have seen sooooo many movies that there will definitely be some fun/new ones thrown in the mix! What movies do you want to make an appearance? Anddd what’s your all-time favorite movie?!
- 2 Comments
- February 24, 2017