Sometimes when we’re coming up with ideas we have an ah-ha moment, and this was definitely one of those times! When I was browsing the web a few weeks ago, I came across a broken heart cake mold and a light bulb went off with the idea that we should make a best friends necklace CAKE!! I used to love wearing one half of these BFF necklaces when I was in middle school and my friend would wear the other. They were always the perfect party gift, so imagine having a giant, edible version of one of these babies! Andddd we tried to make it as easy as possible for you to recreate, so you don’t even have to cut the broken heart shape yourself. (Cake pans for the win!) Hope you guys have fun with this one, that giant gumball “necklace chain” still kills me! Ha!
1. Bake your cake according to the instructions on the broken heart cake mold. Once the cake is baked, put it in the freezer to chill for 2 hours.
2. Dye your buttercream pink using food coloring. Cover the cakes with a very thin coat of buttercream for the crumb coat. Put back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Spread another layer of buttercream over the cakes and smooth out with a baking spatula. Put back into the refrigerator until the buttercream is solid.
3. While the cakes are chilling, cut letters that say “best friends” out of your red sugar sheet. Place them on the top of the cake while the buttercream is still a little wet.
4. To make the chain, poke a hole in gold gumballs using an embroidery needle. String the gumballs onto a thin string and tie off the ends. I used 30 gumballs for each of my strings.
5. When you are ready to serve the cake, set the chain out next to the cake and arrange it to look like a necklace chain.
How many of you still have your best friends forever necklace from when you were younger?! I know I still have one somewhere in my jewelry box! If you’re looking for a smaller dessert to make, try out these mini “I heart mom” tattoo cakes! Now let’s have our cake and eat it too!!
- No Comments
- January 24, 2017