Do you all remember when we made that emoji cake roll for Valentine’s Day? Well, you guys loved it so much that when one of my favorite snack foods, Pocky, reached out, I thought we could do another cake roll! And this time we are bringing out the Summer vibes with a tropical patterned cake roll. Go big or go home, am I right?! We are CRAZY about Pocky over here and I can’t get enough of the Strawberry Pocky, so the idea of a cake roll stuffed with cream cheese frosting and crushed Pocky gives me some serious heart eyes. Plus, a cake with palm trees and pineapples on the outside is always welcomed in my book. SO much better than a normal cake! We have the recipe and how-to below, so get ready to make the cutest cake of your life! P.S. You can download the tropical pattern below too, so your cake making will be so much easier.
For the cake:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
11″ x 15″ baking sheet
Pink food coloring
For the pattern paste:
Printed tropical pattern 11″ x 15″ (download here)
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
Yellow, green, and brown food coloring
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the pattern paste in a large bowl. Divide into three equal parts and color them red, green, and brown. Transfer these to piping bags.
2. Print out the design at the bottom of this post and pattern the papers until you get an 11″ x 15″ sheet. Place a sheet of parchment paper over your design and pipe the design onto the parchment paper. Place in the freezer to harden.
3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk the egg whites until a stiff peak forms. Add in the sugar, butter, flour, and food coloring to your egg white mixture and fold until just combined.
4. Take your patterned baking sheet out of the freezer and pour the cake batter over it, making sure that there is an equal distribution and the whole baking sheet is covered. Bake for 7 minutes.
5. Dust a sheet of parchment paper or a tea towel with powdered sugar and flip the cake over design-side up onto the parchment paper. Peel the other sheet of parchment paper off of your cake to reveal your design. Flip the whole cake over again so that the side that the design is on is facing down. (This video is very helpful to see how to roll up your cake)
6. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream in a bowl. Fold in the crushed Strawberry and Chocolate Pocky. Spread the frosting on the inside of the cake. Once the frosting is evenly distributed, roll up the cake into a spiral. Put the whole cake into the freezer for 30 minutes-1 hour. Remove from the freezer, slice, and enjoy!
Almost too cute to eat, right?! Even if you can’t go to a tropical place this Summer, at least you can eat a tropical cake!
- No Comments
- July 14, 2016