You guys didn’t think I’d let National Donut Day go by without doing a donut project did you?! We all know I’m crazy about donuts, and after seeing this video for a churro bowl make its way around Facebook last week, I was inspired to show you how to make DONUT ICE CREAM BOWLS! Anyone who’s been with me since the beginning of Aww Sam knows I totally started the donut ice cream cone, and when shops start selling the donut ice cream bowl too, we’ll all know where we saw it first. Ha!
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 packages of instant yeast
1/3 cup warm water (95 degrees F)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
23 ounces of all-purpose flour
1 gallon of vegetable oil for frying
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Place the milk in a medium saucepan and heat over medium until warm enough to melt the shortening. Pour milk over shortening and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let dissolve for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl and add the shortening mixture.
3. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and half the flour. Combine. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until dough pulls away from the bowl and becomes smooth. Transfer to a well oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
4. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 3/8″ thick. Cut out 1/2″ strips out of the dough. Flip over your cupcake pan and spray the non-stick spray over the bottom. Wrap the strips around the cupcake pan bottoms in a spiral shape until the whole area is covered. Allow to rise again for 20 minutes.
5. Place the pan in the freezer and let freeze for 4 hours or until the dough is completely solid.
6. Preheat the oil to 365 degrees F. Place the donuts into the oil and cook for 1 minute per side. Let cool 15 minutes before decorating.
Are you guys stopping by any shops to get a free donut tomorrow? You can totally make a day of donut eating for National Donut Day by eating one in bowl form with your ice cream dessert too!
- One Comment
- June 2, 2016