I was going to post a costume today, but after I made these caramel apple donuts last week, I couldn’t wait to show you guys these babies! I haven’t done any Fall projects with donuts yet, and I was DYING all Summer to wait to pull these out of my back pocket. And guess what?! They’re not only meant to look like caramel apples, they’re also APPLE-FLAVORED and dipped in CARAMEL! So they literally taste like an original caramel apple, but have the consistency and goodness of a donut. What’s not to love?! Andddd get ready, because we’re going to be taking all of your favorite Halloween/Fall foods and making them donut-ified, not only in taste but also in looks! (Yes, I just made up donut-ified. Ha!) I think pumpkin pie might be next, so hold onto your taste buds, I know how much you guys love pumpkin pie!!
2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cups chopped apples (put through a food processor)
Yellow & green food coloring
Cake pop sticks or wooden dowels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease donut pan.
2. Combine flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk, eggs, and butter in a separate bowl. Once mixed well, add in yellow and green food coloring until the mixture turns a green apple color.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Run the apple through a food processor and fold into batter.
5. Fill a piping bag and pipe into the donut pan 2/3 of the way. Put in oven for 8 minutes or until brown on the bottom. Allow to cool completely.
6. Melt your caramel squares following the instructions on the package. Once the donuts are cooled, put a cake pop stick in the top and dip in caramel, finishing off with sprinkles!
Who’s going to be making these caramel apple (donuts) this year for Fall?! I know I’ll be substituting the apple for this more indulgent version this year! What other Fall foods do you want to see donut-ified? Let me know below!
- 2 Comments
- October 5, 2015