We’re bringin’ back a little piece of your childhood today! Do you guys remember frosted animal cookies?! They were like animal crackers, but covered in the most delicious frosting and rainbow sprinkles ever! Basically once you ate one, you had to eat the whole bag (it was that sort of cookie). Well, we wanted to give that nostalgic treat a rebirth and make frosted animal cookie ICE CREAM! That’s right folks, it may technically be the end of Summer, but I told you we weren’t done with ice cream just yet. We can’t abandon ice cream already, especially when there are crazy flavors to be had! Strap on your seat belts, we’re about to give this 90s favorite a big twist! I seriously can’t get enough!
3 cups half and half
1 cup heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups of chopped frosted animal cookies
Ice cream maker
1. Put half and half and heavy cream into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and remove from heat once mixture has started to simmer.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts. Once it has all been added, return the mixture to the saucepan and place on low hear. Stir frequently until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for half an hour. Stir in the vanilla extract and fold in the frosted animal cookies.
3. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to cool for an hour. Once cooled, pour into an ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a container and freeze for another 3 hours or until the ice cream hardens.
4. If you want pink and white swirled ice cream, split the mixture into two halves once removed from the ice cream maker and tint one half with pink gel food coloring. Then fold the white and pink halves together, not mixing too much so that the colors stay separate. Then place into a container and freeze for another 3 hours.
5. Top with more chopped cookies and rainbow sprinkles and feel like a kid again!
Is this bringing back memories, are you feeling nostalgic yet? I know I sure am! Time to go eat some frosted animal cookie ice cream next to my lava lamp while playing with my tomagotchi. Ha, just kidding! (Although I do wish I still had a tomagotchi)!
- No Comments
- September 8, 2015