So many of my ideas lately have involved pretzels. I’ve totally been on a pretzel kick! We’ve exhausted donuts and cupcakes by now, so I think pretzels are next in line to receive some fanfare. They can go both the savory and sweet routes, AND they’re just plain delicious. This project definitely brings me back to when I was a kid with lots of box cake mixes and LOTS of funfetti. (I could never figure out how funfetti cake got so colorful when I was younger) But now that I’m older, wiser, and I know how easy it is to “funfetti” things, I had to put some sprinkles in pretzels and make them a little more colorful. Sooooo…WE FUNFETTI-FIED PRETZELS!! And they’re cake pretzels too, so the outside is like a pretzel and the inside is like a soft, delicious funfetti cake! The recipe is below, but be warned that you’re going to want to make more because they’re just THAT GOOD!
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package of yeast
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cups sprinkles
10 cups water
2 tablespoons baking powder
1. Place warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl and mix. Set aside and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour and salt. Slowly add the yeast mixture and mix well. Add in the butter and knead for a few minutes until the dough sticks together. Add the sprinkles and knead them into the dough.
3. Oil a bowl and place the dough inside, covering the top tightly with plastic wrap. Leave to rise in a warm place for an hour.
4. Put about 10 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove the dough from the bowl and cut into 12 equal sections. Roll out eat section and form it into a pretzel shape. Bring the water to a simmer and add in the baking powder. Boil the pretzels in the water for 30 seconds on each side.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a thin egg wash on each pretzel and sprinkle the top with more sprinkles. Place on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 11-15 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely and enjoy!
This was my first time making pretzels and it was definitely easier than you would think it would be! I think there are only two of this left now, we all jumped on them for breakfast right after I finished taking the photos for this post. And trust me, pretzels and cotton candy are the next big things, guys! Maybe I should be making a cotton candy pretzel next… Anyways, happy baking!
- No Comments
- August 24, 2015