If any of you spent time on Instagram yesterday, you might know that it was National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. Who comes up with these days anyways?! I’d love to have that job! Since these days give us a really good reason to eat a lot of our favorite desserts, I wanted to make something bigger and better than the ice cream sandwich: the chocolate chip cookie GIANT ice cream sandwich CAKE! That’s right, this is one ice cream sandwich that will last a lot longer than three bites. (Or maybe it won’t, but you’ll at least get much bigger bites out of it! Who’s counting anyways?!)
Cookie cakes were possibly one of the best desserts of my childhood, so I was really excited to make this childhood favorite into a delicious ice cream treat. And I was even more excited to eat it later! So dive in, we have A LOT of ice cream sandwich to get through!
– Three 9″ cake pans
– 16 cups of your favorite flavor of ice cream
– 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 cup chocolate chips
– 10 chocolate melts (I used the Wilton brand)
1. Line one cake pan with plastic wrap. Pour melted ice cream into pan and smooth surface. Freeze for 3 hours or overnight until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the other two cake pans with butter or shortening. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside
4. Beat butter, extract, sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, beat until combined. Add in flour mixture and chocolate chips.
5. Divide dough in half. Press one half of dough into one of the cake pans, leaving a half inch gap between the edge of the cake pan and the dough. Repeat for the other half of the dough. Push chocolate melts into top of one of the pans of dough.
6. Bake cookies 16 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Assemble the sandwich by turning the bottom cookie over, placing the ice cream on top of it, and finishing with the top cookie.
We devoured this pretty much right after I took all of these photos, and we made a huge mess of it. Ha! Giant ice cream sandwiches don’t hold up well when they’re being photographed for an hour in 90 degree heat! Sweets never last around this household for long!
Being a bigger fan of the chocolate chip cookie than cake, this would be great as an ice cream cake for a birthday party or for the next time an ice cream or cookie-related holiday rolls around. (With all of these crazy holidays lately, there’s probably one next week)! Happy dessert eating!
- No Comments
- August 3, 2015