Have you guys ever had a whoopie pie? The only way I know how to describe them is a cross between cake and a pancake with delicious icing in the middle. Sounds amazing, right? Right! Well you all know by now we love cute desserts, so we're giving you a recipe AND a fun way to decorate them to look like smiley faces today. I'd only had whoopie pies one other time before working on this post, and I have to say after eating them again, I'm hooked! I can't wait to try out more whoopie pie recipes now, just imagine a mint chocolate chip one. Holy yum!! Next birthday party, try out these guys instead of cupcakes and I promise you won't be disappointed!
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
Whoopie pie pan (here)
Yellow food coloring
White icing, black icing, and pink icing
Yellow sprinkles for the side if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray whoopie pie pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Add the buttermilk and the yellow food coloring and mix until everything is combined well. Transfer batter to a piping bag and fill the whoopie pie pan cavities 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
5. Allow whoopie pie cakes to cool completely. Once cooled, ice the sides and roll in sprinkles if desired. Add icing to the middle of two whoopie pie cakes and sandwich together.
6. For the smiley face, pipe eyes and mouth onto the top with black icing and a tongue with pink icing. How cute!